African monkey hunting is usually done if an opportunity arises while looking for another animal.
Huntable Monkey Species
- Vervet Monkey - Chlorocebus pygerythrus
- Blue or Diademed Monkey - Cercopithecus mitis
- Mantled Guereza or Black-and-white Colobus Monkey - Colobus guereza
- Grivet Monkey or African Green Monkey - Chlorocebus aethiops
Just to complicate things further, there are 17 subspecies of blue monkey which go under different common names depending on the country...
- South Africa has 2 subspecies - Stairs's white-collared monkey,Cercopithecus mitis erythrarchusand the samango monkey or white-lipped Guenon, Cercopithecus mitis labiatus both commonly known as Samango or Sykes' monkey. (Not huntable).
- Tanzania has 4 subspecies - the Zanzibar Sykes' monkey or white-throated Guenon, Cercopithecus mitis albogularisin the north, Doggett's blue monkey, Cercopithecus mitis doggetti in the north-west, Moloney's white-collared monkey,Cercopithecus mitis moloneyi in the south and Tanzania Sykes' Monkey Cercopithecus mitis monoides in the Selous GR, all of which are known as the blue or diademed monkey.
- Zambia has Moloney's white-collared monkey, Cercopithecus mitis moloneyiwhich may be commonly known as Moloney's monkey.
- Zimbabwe has Stairs's white-collared monkey, Cercopithecus mitis erythrarchuswhere it is known as Samango or Syke's monkey.
- Ethiopia has Boutourlini’s blue monkey, Cercopithecus mitis boutourliniiwhich is found in the south and is known commonly as the blue monkey.
- Mozambique has Stairs's white-collared monkey, Cercopithecus mitis erythrarchusand is known commonly as the blue monkey.
There may also be confusion between a vervet monkey, Chlorocebus pygerythrus and a grivet monkey, Cercopithecus aethiops, as the vervet was previously classified as Cercopithecus aethiops. The true grivet or African green monkey, range is in Ethiopia and Sudan and the vervet ranges from South Africa, up the east side of Africa into southern Ethiopia.
Where To Hunt A Monkey
All huntable African monkey species are CITES II and will require a CITES II export permit.
- You can hunt a vervet monkey in Botswana, South Africa, Zambia, Zimbabwe, Ethiopia, Uganda, Tanzania and Mozambique.
- You may hunt a blue monkey in Ethiopia, Zambia, Zimbabwe and Tanzania.
- The grivet monkey is only available to hunt in Ethiopia.
- The mantled guereza/black-and-white colobus may be hunted in some areas on a highland hunt in Ethiopia.